HOME CARE TIPS FOR HIGH RISK PREGNANCY
The way to parenthood is so exciting, full of imagination and happiness but in some cases it is not so easy because of the high risk. There are various causes like advanced maternal age, life style, medical history, chronic underlying conditions, multiple pregnancies etc. where the pregnant lady needs extra care and support. Having a high risk pregnancy does not mean that the mom’s and baby’s life is in danger but it indicates to take precautionary measures to reduce the risk so that the mother can enjoy her journey and give birth to a healthy baby.
There are few steps which will help the mother to take care of herself and her baby during high risk pregnancy at home:
- Avoid mental stress: Here the family members,especially the husband plays a big role. They should give her moral support and keep her happy in all the ways so that she should not worry or think about the complications of high risk. She should engage herself in listening to music, watching television, reading books, painting or whatever she likes to do. In the other words, use directionaltherapy to keep her calm and relaxed.
- Eat a healthy diet:It is very important aspect to fulfill all the nutritional need of mother and baby for a safe journey of 38 weeks. Should go with the advice of Dietician if mother is suffering with Gestational Diabetes or Hypertension. A mother should take plenty of green leaf, vegetables, pulses, nuts etc and drink plenty of water to keep her hydrated always, which itself will prevent many complications.
- Gain weight wisely: During pregnancy the weight gain will be there but wisely one should keep it under control to have healthy baby and it will be easy to shed the extra weight post delivery. It can be done with the support of her Doctor.
- Avoid risky substances: Mother should stop smoking or consuming alcohol or drugs to have a safe and healthy baby.
- Proper rest: Any kind of high risk pregnancy needs proper rest. It can be either bed rest or avoid travelling depend upon the condition and advice by the Doctor.
- Regular check-ups: It is very important to go to the Doctor whenever due and necessary to seek medical help to prevent more complications.
- Medications: The person should take all the prescribed medicines on time to keep the situations under control. Should not skip even the Vitamins or other nutritional substitutes otherwise it will affect the baby’s growth.
- Exercise: Mother should learn the prenatal exercise from the Doctor and do it regularly to reduce the risk and a normal delivery.
If a mother follows all the above points, though there will be a high risk, she can definitely enjoy the pregnancy.