Neuromuscular Disorder Care
Mr. Tinku Noel, Clinical Manager at India Home Health Care Pvt Ltd shares that there are many disorders which come under the umbrella of ‘Neuromuscular Disorders’.
Neuromyotonia (NMT), also known as Isaacs Syndrome and Isaacs-Merton syndrome, is one of them and is a form of peripheral nerve hyper excitability that causes spontaneous muscular activity resulting from repetitive motor unit action potentials of peripheral origin. Though there are many recorded cases with this diagnosis, etiology is not known. NMT is an auto immune disorder.
Hyper hydrosis (excess sweating)
Muscle twitches (quivering of a muscle)
Associated walking difficulties
- As there is no evident cure of this disease, it is treated symptomatically.
- Long term goal of treatment is based upon the symptoms which worsen with time and patients might exhibit symptoms of hallucinations and delusions.
- Nursing care of the patient primarily includes the following:
- Maintaining the patent air way
- Maintaining hydration i.e., correcting the fluid and electrolyte imbalance
- Supportive therapy
- Maintaining the general mobility of the patient