Tips for women to stay healthy at every age
Adorable age from 10 to 19 contributes this period. Lot of question arises as the bodily changes are taking place. Menstrual pain, menstrual irregularities, anemia, bone health, sports injuries, anorexia are the few health related issues in which Mother and daughters should be aware of.
1. Menstrual pain can be addressed by taking hot-water bag to the lower tummy region and doing simple exercises like deep breathing, forward bending and hip bending exercises to increase the blood circulation to the uterine region.
2. Menstrual irregularities may be temporary but with proper nutrition and a professional help these girls can outgrow this issue and can regain normal flow.
3. Food rich in iron like dates, spinach, apple, pomegranate, seafood, raisins, green beans, peanuts, eggs, drumstick coriander etc. will prevent the growing girls from anemic condition.
4. Food rich in calcium like milk, other dairy products, oranges, almonds, broccoli, spinach etc. will strengthen their bones. Good exercise and good nutrition is very much essential for adolescent girls to prevent osteoporosis later on in their life.
5. Sports injuries like sprain and strain are quiet common. With proper stretching and strengthening exercises these girls can recover in no time.
6. Anorexia is an eating disorder in which adolescent girl think she is too fat and avoids eating in order to lose weight. With proper counseling and diet plan this can be fixed easily.
Childbearing years (20-40)
Child bearing years are crucial in a women’ life.
1. Pregnancy and puerparium,
2. Career path (Women in the workforce)
3. Incontinence, are the three issues we can discuss here
Pregnancy and Puerparium: Good nutrition, frequent follow up with Obstetrics. Gynaecologist, ante-natal exercises (breathing exercises, kegel exercises, walking, stretching etc.), proper lactation techniques to prevent neck and back pain and post-natal exercises are essential for Women during this time.
Women in the work force: Women in the desk job can get neck pain, back pain, eye strain, wrist /finger, knee pain due to repetitive stress and improper posture. With proper eye exercises, neck exercises, back exercises, posture exercises, cardiovascular workout women can overcome all the aches and pain.
Stress Incontinence: Due to childbirth, overweight, frequent cough/cold women can experience leakage of urine due to increased abdominal pressure and weak pelvic floor muscles. Proper pelvic floor (Kegel exercises) exercises when done regularly Women can overcome this problem.
Middle Aged Women (40-60 yrs)
These Women in 40s can take control of their health by going for yearly check up to prevent health problems like Diabetes, Heart problems and certain forms of cancer.
Some of the problems they face are urinary incontinence (difficulty in controlling the urine), fecal incontinence ( difficulty in controlling the bowel movements), menopause ( dry skin, vaginal dryness, facial hair, , early osteoporosis, overweight due to diabetes, osteoarthritis, gall bladder disease, gingivitis, joint/muscle pain, gingivitis and weight gain), hyperlipidemia (elevated lipid/lipid proteins resulting in pancreatis, retinalis etc) and breast cancer. Timely medical intervention can save women’s life thereby the whole family from a loss.
For early osteoporosis, weight bearing exercises like treadmill, stair-master and yoga, resisted or weight training exercises, aerobic exercises, hydrotherapy or exercises in pool, posture exercises and fall prevention exercises helps preventing fractures due to brittle bones due to osteoporosis.
Mature Women ( 60-80 yrs)
Osteoporotic fracture, falls resulting in fractures and dislocations, incontinence, stroke and breast cancer are few health conditions that may be debilitating for this group of women. Giving symptomatic treatment with proper medical and surgical team followed by good skilled Home Nursing, Physiotherapy and care taker’s assistance will help this population to lead an independent life without pain/ discomfort with high quality of living. They can also appreciate their aging gracefully.